Dundas Valley School of Art, 2020
21 Ogilvie Street, Dundas, Ontario, L9H 2S1
This fall and winter, Marilyn Gardiner will be teaching jewellery making classes at DVSA. The chain mail classes use Marilyn’s well-regarded jewellery kit instructions. The chainmail classes focus on making jewellery with jump rings while learning the necessary skills and building your confidence to create professional work.
To sign up for any of Marilyn Gardiner’s jewellery making classes at DVSA, please register online or call 905-628-6357 #0 now, because many of the classes fill up quickly! We limit class sizes so you can get the best value. Only 10 seats total for each class!
Saturday, February 22, 2020: 9:30 pm-4:00 pm
Jewellery making class at DVSA in Dundas
Hypnotic Spirals (All Levels)
This is a day to focus on jewellery spirals as you review chainmail basics and explore several Spiral Weave variations, from the basic Spiral 4 in 1 to the classy Double Spiral, Graduated Double Spiral, Double Spiral Half Byzantine, and Inverted Spiral. You will begin by making Graduated Double Spiral Earrings and then either work on a Spiral project kit or design a jewellery project that uses a Spiral weave.
In class, you will have the option to learn any or all of these, or design something for yourself that builds a piece of jewellery with a Spiral weave.
In this all-day class:
- We’ll all start by doing a sample of the Double Spiral weave, and then making a pair of Graduated Double Spiral Earrings
- I’ll bring Double Spiral bracelet kits (Beginner) in Silver-Filled, and Copper. Also: Inverted Spiral Bracelet kits (Intermediate) in Silver Filled w/ Jeweller’s Bronze and Silver Filled w/ Black.
- The instructions for the Graduated Double Spiral Necklace (Beginner+) are in my book Modern Chainmail Jewelry. If you want to make this Necklace in Argentium Sterling I can make a custom kit if you notify me ahead of time (instructions will be included in the kit).
- I’ll bring instructions plus a sample of the Spiral 4 in 1 weave
- You’ll either work on one of the various Spiral kits, or plan a project that uses this weave. (We’ll all help each other with this.)
- If you are designing your own project and have an idea about what you might like to make, please contact me about pre-ordering the specific rings you’ll need.
- You will have the opportunity to ask questions and share your work following the class, via my private FaceBook student group.
Note: In addition to the prepaid materials fee of $20 (see details below), you will also need to purchase a Spiral kit of your choice for the main project.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate, depending on the project you choose.
Pre-requisite: Experience opening and closing jump rings will be very helpful.
Bring: Magnifiers/glasses for close-up work. Pliers designed for chain mail will be provided for class use. You may wish to bring your personal tools, a personal task light, and a work surface.
All kits include step-by-step, illustrated instructions, jump rings, and coordinated findings.
All rings are saw-cut and polished.
Range: $20- $95 plus HST (Prices vary according to metal and other kit contents.)
Double Spiral Bracelet Kit: $66 plus HST for Sterling Silver; $26 plus HST for Copper
Inverted Spiral Bracelet Kit: $50 plus HST for Silver Filled and Jeweller’s Bronze; $35 plus HST for Silver Filled and Black
Double Spiral, Half Byzantine Kit: $23 plus HST for Copper & Black; $31 plus HST for Faux Gold & Silver Filled; $55 plus HST for Silver Filled
Spiral 4-1 Necklace: $39.50 plus HST for Copper; $95 plus HST for Silver Filled
Graduated Double Spiral Necklace: 21.5″: $96 plus HST for Silver Filled
Graduated Double Spiral Earrings: $20 plus HST for Silver Filled